Delicious Protein Hot Cocoa Recipe
Whey protein is a staple in my diet; many people underestimate the importance of protein. Protein has a long list of health benefits, of which of which are: aids in fat loss and preserves muscle, increases muscle growth, increases metabolism, reduces hunger, reduces stress, and improves the immune system.
Next time you crave a delicious cup of hot cocoa, ditch the high-calorie sugar recipes and instant hot chocolate packets and make my yummy recipe instead. You can always add a scoop of whey protein powder to your favorite recipe as well. Drinking protein-packed hot cocoa will give you a mega health boost to keep your body going strong. Below is my favorite recipe I created that keeps me happy, warm and fit!
My Delicious Whey Protein Hot Cocoa Recipe
You'll be happy to know that all ingredients can be purchased conveniently at Walmart or at your local health food store.
Whey Protein Cocoa Ingredients:
- 1 cup SO Delicious light unsweetened vanilla coconut milk
- 1 scoop Whey (Isolate) Protein Powder chocolate flavored
- 1/2 tbsp Hershey’s cocoa - Special Dark
- 10 drops stevia extract chocolate flavored – I use this brand. (add to taste)
- 1 packet of stevia extract powder (optional)
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of Xantham Gum (optional – use if you like thick cocoa)
Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- 1-2 tbsp ricotta cheese or 1/4 cup canned coconut milk (high fat)
- 2-3 tbsp vanilla whey protein powder (optional)
- 1/2 packet of stevia extract powder
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp unflavored Knox gelatin
Whey Protein Cocoa Directions:
- Heat one cup of coconut milk in a large microwave-safe mug for 90 seconds (adjust according to your microwave) or in a pot on the stove (healthier option) on medium heat.
- If heating coconut milk on the stove, add whey protein powder, cocoa, cinnamon and stevia packet, whisking until heated, (do not boil—heat enough that it will be hot to touch.)
- If heating in a microwave, add ingredients after you heat the coconut milk and mix thoroughly until well incorporated.
- Add liquid stevia after removing from heat.
- Top with protein whipped cream and sprinkle with cocoa and cinnamon if desired.
Whipped Cream Directions:
- Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl until at the desired consistency.
- Add a dollop or two to top off your delicious, healthy hot cocoa.
- You can also put whipped cream in a sandwich back, cut the corner and pipe it on your yummy cup of cocoa.