LOW FAT COOKING & BAKING TIPS
We all enjoy a tasty meal. I love to cook and bake for my family; however, I don’t like gaining weight.
Through the years I've come to love low fat cooking, in fact, when I eat unhealthy fats such as butter, vegetable oil, etc. I get sick to my stomach and get a headache. I have conditioned my body to eating wholesome foods to maintain my lean physique.
When we eat unhealthy fats and sugar we get fat--plain and simple. Cooking smart is the key to maintaining a slim waistline. Below are tips for low fat cooking that won’t take away delicious flavoring of your favorite meals.
Low Fat Cooking & Baking Tips
- Always use ½ the fat or less when baking. Replace butter with applesauce in cakes and cookies. If you have to use butter then use always use real butter in place of Crisco, margarine or oil when baking. Use Pam cooking spray in place of oil or butter.
- Cut off all fat from meats. Animal fat will only add fat to your body
- Use extra virgin olive oils in pasta or salad dressing, remember to use half the amount the recipes calls for.
- Use applesauce in place of butter or Crisco, it makes cookies and cakes light & fluffy.
- Replace all white flour for whole wheat flour (white wheat has a lighter taste & texture similar to white flour.
- Replace sugar for either brown sugar or better yet Truvia (it’s a low glycemic index food) and only use half the amount called for.
- Use cinnamon whenever you can to add flavor to your favorite foods such as oatmeal, shakes, on frozen berries or air popped popcorn. Cinnamon aids in balancing the blood sugar levels which keeps fat stores at bay,
- Eat your veggies raw to get more nutrients and fiber. Fill your salads with fresh spinach, Cherry tomatoes, celery, seedless cucumbers, zucchini, carrots, peppers, red cabbage and fresh herbs, to make a more tasty and higher nutrient salad.
- Use plain low fat Greek yogurt in place of sour cream.
- Use fresh herbs when possible, it will add a lot more flavor and added nutrition value to any meal.
- Use Wish Bone spray Balsamic Breeze vinaigrette salad dressings, or any of their flavors to fresh veggies and salads or EVOO and apple cider vinegar(organic & unfiltered,m Bragg's is the best brand.
- Sprinkle 1 T of ground flax seed on your chicken, eggs and salads for added flavor, nutrients, fiber and for a daily dose of Omega 3.
- Add 1 scoop of whey vanilla protein powder (about 25 to 30 grams) to whole wheat pancakes, oatmeal and even cookies to pump up your protein intake. Added protein also aids in the slow processing of your meal which helps stabilize your blood sugar level, giving you more long lasting energy and muscle growth.
- Use spaghetti squash in place of spaghetti, it tastes yummy and it’s high in fiber & beta carotene and low in carbohydrates. When you eat a high carb meal if you do not use the energy with intense exercise then it will be stored as energy on the body aka fat! Also make your own marinara sauce using fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic and herbs.
- Use low calorie vanilla 30 calorie almond milk in place of 1%, 2% or skim milk, it has less sugar and calorie than skim milk and taste great too.
These simple tips will aid your fat loss, muscle building goals as well as will keep your metabolism burning strong, and best of all cooking and baking low fat is highly beneficial for health and longevity.
Have fun with your meal planning and be creative! Think each meal through and think of how you can cut the fat and calories of any recipe, it’s highly rewarding and your body will thank you for it!
Life Transformation Expert