LOW-FAT COOKING & BAKING TIPS
As the holiday's creep upon us it's a time to have a few diet tricks up our sleeves to ward of the unwanted holiday weight gain. You can enjoy the festivities without the extra needless calories that will just add to your waistline.
Did you know on average people gain anywhere from 10 to 15 lbs during the sweet season of family parties and social gatherings? That's a lot of fat!
But you can be ahead of the game by using these tips & tricks to get you through the holiday season without the extra baggage around your waist, hips & thighs...
TIPS TO KEEP WEIGHT GAIN AT BAY
Everyone knows that eating a low-fat diet and exercising daily will shed fat as well as keep a lean physique, but a lot of people don't know how to cut down on fat & empty calories.
Here are a few examples of how to eat smarter without sacrificing taste.
LOW-FAT COOKING TIPS
· Use Pam cooking spray instead of butter.
· Use Wishbone Salad Spritzers on salads & fresh veggies, it has only one calorie per spray and zero fat.
· Use 1 Tbls of Extra Virgin Olive Oil & balsamic vinegar for salad dressing, it has the good fats that your body needs.
· Rather than using sugar in your baking us Agave Nectar, it's a low glycemic index food that's sweeter than sugar! And you only need 1/2 the amount of the sugar called for in a recipe.
· When baking always use butter in place of Crisco (your body knows how to process butter) and use only 1/4 to 1/2 the fat called for in any recipe.
· Use applesauce in place of butter when baking, it makes for a light fluffy texture.
· Use whole wheat flour in place of all flour called for in recipes. You'll have more flavor and extra fiber and nutrients to keep your system moving.
· Use Cinnamon to add flavor and keep your blood sugar level.
· Use dark brown sugar or Agave nectar in baking, white sugar is loaded with chemicals and will spike insulin. Remember sugar leads to fat! Period! So try to stay away from the sugary snacks that will only make you self-sabotage your efforts and goals.
· Use spices and herbs in place of sauces, be creative and mix various spices for more flavors.
· Use low-calorie Almond milk in place of milk, it has fewer calories as well as less sugar.
· Use fresh salsa mixed with fat-free cottage cheese or canned tuna or chicken and use fresh cut veggies for chips and salsa, it's delicious and filled with protein, fiber and nutrients!
· Eat clean lean meats in place of high fatty meats. Cut off all excess fat off of chicken and red meats. Cook hamburger in water and drain off all the fat and rinse; add spices and sea salt to add flavor.
· For a sweet tooth snack have frozen berries mixed with vanilla protein powder or low-fat yogurt. If you are craving crunchy foods to add a tablespoon of slivered almonds, it's a yummy treat!
· For a salty snack use air popcorn with fat-free butter spray and cinnamon. It's high in fiber, light and also has antioxidant benefits.
These are just a few examples of how cook & bake with healthier and with fewer calories without feeling deprived.
You'll not only lose weight and feel great by incorporating these tips into your daily diet, but you'll find that you'll begin to feel younger too.
Many foods mentioned are anti-aging foods that improve your skin tone, hair, and vitality. Use these simple tips & tricks and you'll find that you can enjoy the holidays without gaining weight.
Have a Happy Halloween!